History of the Agency
- May 1975 – Act No. 75-049 on veterinary pharmacy
- June 1975 – Creation of the Veterinary Medicines Laboratory (LMV) in Fougères
- May 1988 – Creation of the National Centre for Veterinary Studies and Feed (CNEVA) integrating the LMV
- February 1994 – Act No. 94-114 establishing the ANMV within the CNEVA
- 1994 – The ANMV becomes a Collaborating Centre of the OIE for veterinary medicinal products
- May 1998 – The ANMV becomes a Collaborating Centre of the FAO for veterinary medicinal products
- July 1998 – Creation of the French Food Safety Agency (AFSSA) integrating CNEVA and the ANMV
- March 1999 – Application decree of the Act of July 1998
- July 2010 – Creation of the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (ANSES) through the merger of AFSSA with the French Agency for Environmental and Occupational Health Safety (AFSSET)
Adoption in May 1975 of legislation on veterinary pharmacy prompted the authorities to set up in Fougères a laboratory charged with evaluating marketing authorisation application dossiers for veterinary medicinal products and with conducting research on the quality, efficacy and safety of veterinary medicinal products. Inaugurated in June 1975, the Veterinary Medicines Laboratory ensured these two missions for 20 years. The numerous studies carried out on the toxicity and pharmacokinetics of residues enabled the laboratory to develop expertise in the sensitive area of protection of public health and to be nominated National Reference Laboratory for control of medicinal product residues in food in 1990, and in 1991 European Reference Laboratory in charge of veterinary medicinal product residues with antimicrobial properties.
The rapid and regular increase in the workload and its specificity related to evaluation of marketing authorisation applications for veterinary medicinal products, specifically resulting from implementation of the European Registration system for these products, made it necessary in 1994 to create the French Agency for Veterinary Medicinal Products (ANMV). The ANMV was established on the site of the CNEVA in Fougères, alongside the Veterinary Medicines Laboratory.
The ANMV has been in operation since January 1995 and has rapidly developed its activities in all its areas of expertise. In addition to its national mandate, the Agency plays a leading role in research carried out within international organisations operating in the area of veterinary medicinal products and was therefore selected as a Collaborating Centre for veterinary medicinal products by the OIE and FAO.
The ANMV was integrated into the French Food Safety Agency (AFSSA) by Decree on 26 March 1999, and has been a part of ANSES since 1 July 2010, following the merger of AFSSA and AFSSET.