Address : 60, rue du Pied-de-Fond, BP 3081 79012 Niort
Phone : +33 (0)5 49 79 61 28
Manager : Jaquemine Vialard
The laboratory employs 20 people and is located in Poitou-Charentes, the largest goat milk producing area in France. It benefits from financial support from the Regional Council, and its 700 m2 premises include a laboratory and animal experimentation station. The laboratory works closely with industry stakeholders on diseases specific to goats as well as those common to goats, sheep and cattle.
The laboratory’s research themes relate to viral, bacterial and parasitic diseases of ruminants with a high economic impact, such as caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus (CAEV), maedi-visna, paratuberculosis and cryptosporidiosis.
It undertakes epidemiological surveillance in the Poitou-Charentes region, through a goat disease observatory and autopsy and diagnosis work for breeders and veterinarians.
- Its unit for research on retroviruses in ruminants specialises in molecular virology (study of lentiviruses in small ruminants and optimisation of diagnostic tools);
Its unit for research on infectious and parasitic diseases in small ruminants focuses on:
- bacterial diseases (paratuberculosis);
- epidemiology and control of parasitism (cryptosporidiosis).
The Niort Laboratory is the National Reference Laboratory for caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus, maedi-visna and enzootic bovine leukosis, and Reference Laboratory of the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) for retroviruses in small ruminants and paratuberculosis in ruminants. It has been accredited by COFRAC according to the EN 17025 Standard (immunoserology).
- Development and optimisation of serological and molecular diagnostic tools (CAEV, maedi-visna).
- Epidemiology of CAEV and maedi-visna in small ruminants
- Characterisation of cryptosporidium transmission in ruminants
- Strategies for control of cryptosporidiosis in kids and calves
- Epidemiology of paratuberculosis in goats
- Control of paratuberculosis in goats
- Epidemiological surveillance of goat diseases
The Niort Laboratory performs reference activities in the following areas:
- It helps to enforce application of French regulations for caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus (CAEV), maedi-visna (MV) in sheep and enzootic bovine leukosis (EBL).
- It offers scientific and technical advice to professional organisations.
- Poitou-Charentes region
- INRA (parasitology, paratuberculosis, virology)
- National Veterinary School of Nantes (paratuberculosis, virology)
- Veterinary Institute in Pulawy, Poland (virology)
- Institut Pasteur in Lille (parasitology)
- University of Oslo, Norway (parasitology)
- Universities of Poitiers and Tours (host laboratory)
- Inter-professional bodies