A Network of Excellence on foodborne zoonoses
MED-VET-NET is a Network of Excellence that aims to consolidate, at European level, expertise in veterinary sciences, public health and research on food, so as to strengthen the prevention and control of zoonoses, including those transmitted by food.
Zoonoses are diseases naturally transmitted from animals to humans. They are a major public health problem. Such pathologies, especially when transmitted by food, have significant social and financial repercussions in Europe and therefore need to be studied in the general framework of the food chain.
MED-VET-NET is therefore a European Network of Excellence bringing together veterinary and public health research institutes. Its 15 member institutions, half in the veterinary field and half in public health, represent ten different countries, and are coordinated by ANSES.
As a European project selected by the European Commission in 2003, Med-Vet-Net received significant funding under the 6th European Framework Programme for Research & Technological Development (FP6) for the period 2004-2009.
In 2010 Med-Vet-Net became a non-profit Association under the French Act of 1901, which has established a legal framework enabling it to pursue its activities at European level.
- Veterinary and Agrochemical Research Centre (VAR) (Associate Member) (Belgium)
- State Serum Institute (SSI) (Denmark)
- Technical University of Denmark (Vet-DTU) (Food-DTU) (Denmark)
- French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (ANSES) (France)
- Federal Institute for Risk Assessment | Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung (BfR) (Germany)
- Veterinary Medical Research Institute (VMRI) (Hungary)
- Central Public Health Institute in Italy | Istituto Superiore di Sanita (ISS) (Italy)
- Central Veterinary Institute of Wageningen University and Research Centre (CVI) (NL)
- The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment | Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheit en Milieu (RIVM) (NL)
- Norwegian Veterinary Institute | Veterinærinstituttet (NVI) (Norway)
- National Veterinary Research Institute | Państwowy Instytut Weterynaryjny - Państwowy Instytut Babdwczy (PIWET) (Poland)
- The Complutense University of Madrid | Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM) (Spain)
- Institute of Public Health in Spain | Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII) (Spain)
- National Veterinary Institute | Statens Veterinärmedicinska Anstalt (SVA) (Sweden)
- Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) (UK)