Address : 22440 Ploufragan
Phone : +33 (0)2 96 01 62 22
Manager : Nicolas Eterradossi
The Ploufragan-Plouzané-Niort Laboratory specialises in the health of poultry, rabbits, pigs, ruminants and farmed fish. It contributes to improving animal welfare and the quality of food of animal origin, and to the study of working conditions in livestock farming. The Laboratory has over 210 staff members at its three sites in Ploufragan, Plouzané and Niort.
- The Ploufragan-Plouzané-Niort Laboratory focuses on:
- pathogens that cause diseases with high economic impact on production and those that affect the immune potential of animals,
- emerging diseases,
- the safety of poultry and pork products regarding control of zoonotic bacteria (Salmonella, Campylobacter, Yersinia, Listeria, Clostridium, etc.) through studies of prevalence and molecular epidemiology, host-pathogen relationships and control measures.
- It analyses new animal husbandry practices:
- their consequences on animal behaviour and health;
- the quality of the resulting products;
- their potential impact on farmers' health.
- It develops tools and methods for diagnosis and prevention in animals.
- It also assesses the impact of environmental pollutants on animals.
- It is the reference laboratory for several diseases and food contaminants. It provides scientific and technical support to international organisations and French authorities for veterinary controls (sample analysis, reference reagent supply, quality control of diagnostic laboratory analyses, etc.)
- It helps monitor antimicrobial resistance in the various animal production sectors and their environment. It assesses the impact of farming practices on antimicrobial resistance and studies alternatives to antibiotics.
- It conducts research on the welfare of poultry, pigs and ruminants. Using multi-criteria indicators (animal behaviour, physiology, performance and health), it assesses current animal husbandry situations and practices, with regard to welfare, and proposes alternatives. This work is based on epidemiological surveys on farms and experimental trials in research stations.
International reference activities
Reference laboratory of the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)
- Gumboro disease
- Aujeszky’s disease
- Avian metapneumovirus
- Ruminant paratuberculosis
National reference laboratory
- Avian botulism
- Avian influenza
- Newcastle disease
- Avian mycoplasmosis
- Avian salmonellosis
- Swine influenza
- Aujeszky's disease
- Classical swine fever
- African swine fever
- Notifiable fish diseases
- Bovine hypodermosis
- Enzootic bovine leucosis
- Bovine infectious rhinotracheitis
- Antimicrobial resistance (associate NRL)
- Campylobacter spp.
- Salmonella spp.
- Bovine viral diarrhea
European reference center for the welfare of poultry and small livestock
Eight Research units
- Mycoplasmology, bacteriology and antimicrobial resistance,
- Hygiene and quality of poultry and pork products,
- Pig virology and immunology,
- Viral genetics and biosafety,
- Virology, immunology and parasitology in poultry and rabbits,
- Epidemiology, health and welfare,
- Ruminant diseases and welfare,
- Viral diseases in fish.
Three experimental departments
- Department for breeding and experimentation in poultry and rabbits,
- Department for production of specific-pathogen free pigs and experimentation,
- Fish breeding and experimentation facilities for the Viral Diseases in Fish Unit.
Two cross-functional departments
- Quality management department,
- Administrative, financial, technical and IT department.
- Directorate General for Food (Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries),
- Bretagne and Nouvelle-Aquitaine Regions,
- Côtes-d'Armor and Finistère Departmental Councils,
- Saint Brieuc Armor Agglomeration,
- European Union,
- INRA, IRSTEA, INSERM, IFREMER, ONCFS, Institut Pasteur, CIRAD, Universities, veterinary schools,
- Technical institutes and centres (ITAVI, IFIP, etc.), Chamber of Agriculture, GDS France, etc.
- Interprofessional organisations in the poultry, pig, aquaculture and ruminant sectors,
- Higher education and training bodies: universities, veterinary schools, Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers
- Industrial companies, SMEs
- Zoopôle Développement bioscience park