The French Agency for Veterinary Medicinal Products– Missions and activities
The French Agency for Veterinary Medicinal Products (ANMV), within ANSES, is the Competent Authority in France for risk assessment and management with regard to veterinary medicinal products.
In this capacity, the Government was keen for the ANMV to strive for constant improvement of its services with a view to protecting public health as well as the health and welfare of animals.
To this end, the ANMV must enforce the current applicable legal provisions in an independent, competent and impartial manner. Click here to find out more about the Agency’s history.
The ANMV is located in Javené, near Fougères (Ille-et-Vilaine) and has 80 staff members, mainly specialised scientists.
Each year, the ANMV publishes an activity report (access the last activity report - in French)
With the aim of contributing to the protection of human and animal health by ensuring the safety of veterinary medicinal products from authorisation through to use, the ANMV:
- National and European Marketing Authorisation Application dossiers for veterinary medicinal products
- European dossiers on maximum acceptable limits for veterinary drug residues in food of animal origin
- The risk of adverse effects related to veterinary medicinal products
- The quality of veterinary medicinal products
- Pharmaceutical establishments for veterinary medicinal products
- Advertising of veterinary medicinal products
- Marketing of veterinary medicinal products
- Clinical trials on veterinary medicinal products
- Opening of pharmaceutical establishments for the manufacture, marketing, wholesale distribution and export of veterinary medicinal products
- Import, temporary use and export of veterinary medicinal products
The ANMV participates in discussions concerning veterinary pharmacy and contributes to the formulation of many regulatory texts.
To ensure full transparency and demonstrate impartiality, the public declarations of interests (PDIs) of the ANMV employees and external experts involved in committees and working groups are made public on the Anses website dedicated page.
The Agency is actively involved in many international organisations:
At the European level
- Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CVMP) at the European Medicines Agency (EMA)
- Coordination Group for Mutual Recognition & Decentralised Procedures - Veterinary (CMD(v)) within the EMA
- Heads of Medicines Agencies (HMA)
- Veterinary Pharmaceutical Committee (VPC)
- European Pharmacopoeia
- CVMP working groups: Inspection, EudraGMP, Pharmacovigilance, Pharmaceutical quality, Efficacy, Immunology, Safety, Eco-toxicity
- Network of Official medicines control laboratories (OMCLs)
At the international level
- World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE): the ANMV is a Collaborating Centre for the OIE for veterinary medicinal products
- Veterinary International Conference on Harmonization (VICH)
- Codex Committee on Residues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods (CCRVDF
- The West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and World Health Organisation (WHO)